Here is a video created by the team at ::oDesk(“a”)::.
Here are a few of my thoughts while watching it:
- Transparent work: I expect that as this happens, employees will have the option to telecommute more.
- From an employer point of view, the additional layers of transparent work will definitely translate to much more efficient labor spending.
- From an employee point of view this could be viewed as micromanagement if not utilized properly.
- The world has been becoming more “flat” and the same is happening to organizations.
- The video mentioned JetBlue utilizing a call center workforce that works from home. My cousin in the US works for JetBlue from home and loves his job.
- There will be a lot more competition for jobs and quantification of skills. Fewer and fewer people will be able to get away with being the company slacker. Conversely, those with the skills and work ethic will thrive in this new “paradigm shift”.
- Crowdsourcing: Interesting they mention this since I’ve been so immersed in this area for the past few weeks. I’m very curious if ::oDesk(“a”):: has / is moving into this space (at least by in the way I define it as one-t0-MANY vs. the traditional one-to-one or one-to-a-few).
- Virtual teams: The video says these groups of contractors may or may not work again in the future. I think this will work efficiently in some areas, but in others it will still be more effective to develop and build long term trust while getting a feel for your teammates style, strengths, weaknesses, etc.
- Outsourcing isn’t going away any time soon. We all (employers / employees) need to be ready for it.
What do you think? Are the predictions and statements in the video accurate? How do you feel about this so called “Future of Work”?